Wednesday, August 17, 2011

On the Shoulders of Giants







Beginning our pilgrimage in Rome and Assisi we were able to see so many saints. Visiting tombs and seeing many of the incorrupt saints. All these incredible saints always, though, looking from a distance and being pushed ahead by other pilgrims.
It was still amazing experience a true blessing to be in those holy places. To be with these holy people who surrendered their lives to serve God. We stand on their shoulders and try follow their example.
Then we arrive in Madrid. The opening mass for English speaking pilgrims is ready to begin. I heard just a moment before that they are waiting for St. Terese to arrive. I walked out and saw her pull up. A woman steps out, and noticing the size of the reliquary, I thought the only gentlemanly thing to do is ask... "Excuse me are you going to need help?" What I was really saying is, please please let me help you! I calmed myself and awaited the answer...."si,si" she responded! Quickly I called some others from the group over. Connor and I as well as six others in the larger Franciscan group processed St. Terese into the church as everyone knelt and honored this great saint. After seeing so many saints in Rome ad Assisi we came to Madrid and carried St. Terese to the pilgrims of World Youth Day! What an incredible honor! We were all moved by the experience.
Afterwords one of the young men who helped process commented, " for so long the saints have carried me, today I carried a saint." - I cannot think of a better way to begin World Youth Day!

1 comment:

  1. Heard the incredible story of your encounter with St. Teresa Lisieux yesterday, then found this photo on this blog: http://youthspeaknews.org
    I believe it is Dan Johnson on front corner, and perhaps Connor's head right behind him.

    USA coverage has begun - we heard the radio call in this morning. You are all in our prayers.
    Much love,
    The Duffeys

    ReplyDelete