Monday, August 15, 2011

Cecilia Pray for Us!




Ciao from Roma! Hope all is well back in the States! As our days in Rome have come to an end, one thing is for sure: I am now physically fit. The daily walk to the Metro, the walk to 15 unique churches, the walk around the Vatican. All of the miles added up to approximately 45 miles! It's for sure though, the irreplaceable experiences are worth the achy feet! Speaking of long walks, I have a story! One church in particular grabbed my attention. I found out our second day in Rome that my Confirmation saint, St. Cecilia, has her own church in Rome. I was going to get there somehow and nothing seemed to stand in the way of that. Saturday, our third day, we found out that The Basilica of St. Cecilia is at least an hour and fifteen minutes away. To my excitement, Fr. Dan volunteered to take Claire and I anyway. It was like BAM! YES! I was so excited. I couldn't have lived with myself if I didn't go- so I was relieved. We went that afternoon while the rest of the group toured St. Peters. Still, another potential problem arose. Every Church takes a reposo or "break" in the afternoon. There was a good chance that St. Cecilia's would be closed. Step after step after step, I got even more excited. When we arrived an hour and forty-five minutes later, I couldn't believe what I saw. It was closed. I walked over to the gate and broke down. I was disappointed and somewhat angry at first. I had walked so far just to see St. Cecilia's tomb, and it was closed. The tears started flowing. A bit later, my anger subsided when Fr. Dan spoke some very powerful words. He said, "She is so proud of you. She can't wait to meet you in Heaven." I hadn't thought of it that way, and it really startled me. It was true. I was crying because I loved her and wanted to pray by her. She means that much to me. Now tears of joy, a waterfall streamed down my face. I was so overjoyed. St. Cecilia is proud of me. WOAH. You can definitely say the Holy Spirit was working. We said a group prayer and then left soon after. Little did I know, I would end up right back in St. Cecilia's presence two days later (today). Fr. Dan worked his priestly powers and we were allowed to go down to the crypt where Cecilia is buried. I prayed by her tomb and took a lot of pictures. I felt ecstatic that my patron saint was right there before me. I am so thankful that Fr. Dan realized how important she was to me and did whatever he could to get me in her presence. My visits to her Basilica will always stick with me. Her inspiring story makes her such a wonderful role model. This has been my most moving experience so far and I hope there is more to come. OH! By the way, my feet feel better!

Maegan

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment